Monday, April 14, 2014

The irony of behaviour management...

I am a victim of my circumstance... 

A few months ago, I tried to train my guinea pigs.  I wanted to get down to basics.  So, I did some Pavlovian conditioning.  I would ring the bell, then leave some nice fresh food for my pigs.  But, I am obviously not doing any psychology experiments.  Thus, the lazy me left the bell in their apartment (read cage).  So, what is happening now?

They are taking turns to ring the bell whenever I am home to communicate to me that I need to get them some fresh food. 

The irony of the behaviour management is this...  in order to control effectively, both parties must be controlled.  Why?  Think about the scenario of a dog trainer teaching a dog a new trick.  Dog does the trick, dog trainer will give the treat.  Thus, over time, the dog will continue to do the trick contingent upon being given the treat (by the trainer).  Of course, the dog trainer does not have to do this for 10 years.  The dog trainer merely needs to do it till the behaviour has been learned. 

**Note:  This post does not go into the complexities of conditioning.  Maybe next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment