Friday, April 25, 2014

$1 loaf of bread, anyone?

If you paid attention or read all my blogs, you will now know that I am a bit of a hoarder (a bit means not enough to seek professional help but enough to be problematic).  So, apart from hoarding material possessions which can be seen (remember we learned that objects have weight and take up space), I also hoard emotionally and psychologically. 

In order to illustrate my point, I am using the example of $1 loaf of bread.  Back in the good old days, a loaf of bread would go for about $1.  These days, I go to my local store and expect to find $1 loaf.  I hold on to those good old days.  Of course, apart from the $1 loaf of bread, there's also other groceries that were cheaper.  Do you hold on to the good old days for sentimental reasons or worry about what happens if you move on? 

Now, in the year 2014, you must realise that computers are getting cheaper (though mobile phones are getting more expensive).  Isn't it funny how we just never think about that at all? 

My point is that, as humans, we choose to make salient the points that objectively benefit us the most?  In addition, we choose to ignore or put aside the other points which we dislike possibly because those do not benefit us.  If we like something, we can think of a million and one good things to say about it... and vice versa. 

Gone are the good old days...  let's create more good old days starting from now, so that when we look back in the years to come, we can say that every day that we live from here on is a good old day in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment