Hi all, I think you must have read by now the South Korean ferry disaster. Not sure if you are aware that what followed after was the suicide of the Korean teacher? Read http://rt.com/news/korea-ship-suicide-dead-388/.
It is likely that the teacher had committed suicide out of survivor guilt. So, what is survivor guilt? As I mentioned earlier, I do not try to paraphrase or rewrite things that are already well explored on the internet (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_guilt,
If you followed the news of the ferry disaster, you will also be aware that the Captain and crew of that ferry actually abandoned the ferry (read http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-21/korean-president-says-ferry-captain-actions-like-murder/5401880?section=world). Now, there is already widespread uproar about this. My money is on my hypothesis that the Captain and the crew will also experience survivor guilt. Thus, I urge my readers to not be harsh on these survivors who may have survived the tragedy but may or may not survive this guilt.
I also note that the Captain and crew left a brave but inexperienced third mate in charge. It is likely that this third mate may experience some form of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (or PTSD).
My heart goes out to all affected -- the people who lost their lives, their parents, the crew etc. Having said that, I also must say that it is human nature to flee. I understand that all sea vessel captains and crews would have had extensive training about what to do if something like that happens. However, not every one of them would have had the experience to manage such chaos in their careers. It is like your pilots may know how to execute an emergency landing BUT, I assume that, not all pilots had to do that in their careers.
I hope that my readers can understand that humans err. Admittedly, the Captain and Crew made a big mistake on this occasion. However, if you agree with me that all lives are precious, I hope that you will dig deep to understand that accidents happen and this is time to support one another because more suicides may follow if this is not managed properly. It is human nature to attribute blame somewhere but let's just channel our efforts to support those who need us. I do hope that media will reduce the reports of this tragedy to give everyone some room to breathe.
No comments:
Post a Comment